April 19, 2024
Filipino graduating from a foreign university who wants to take LET? Here you go...

Diploma for LET

So, I actually wanted to take the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) this July. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to make it on time, due to the fact that I needed to have my documents accredited by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in order to ensure that the bachelor’s degree that I earned abroad is equivalent to the ones offered here in the Philippines…

What should I do if I want to get the LET?

  1. Go to the Department of Foreign Affairs and your local city hall to certify your documents through the Apostille method. Apostilles authenticate the seals and signatures of officials on public documents such as birth certificates, court orders, or any other document issued by a public authority in another country so that they can be recognized in the Philippines, as well as other countries that are members of the 1961 Hague Convention Treaty.
  2. Before you go to CHED at Diliman, Quezon City (or your regional CHED office for that matter), prepare a letter of request that looks like this:

LET Letter

  1. Once you have the letter, bring a photocopy of your diploma and official transcript, as well as the original copies of the said documents for comparison to the CHED office. Ta
  2. Once the CHED assessor approves your documents, give it to the person-in-charge and ask for their contact details. After three to four weeks (or even more), call their office to see whether the documents have been approved or not.

The thing is that they’ll need to check on the status of the school (i.e. whether it is still alive) and check for the descriptions of the courses that you’ve taken. It takes weeks or even months for them to be able to do that!

  1. Only a few results come out. They can include one of the following:
  • Your documents are given full equivalency. In this case, you can take the next possible edition of the LET exam.
  • Your documents are given partial equivalency. As a result, you should take the remaining education units in order to complete the 18-unit requirement.
  • Your documents aren’t counted at all. In this case, time to take 18 units of professional education if you really want to take the LET!
  1. After you complete all the 18 units (and/or get the equivalency certification), proceed to PRC Manila for guidance regarding payment. At this point, you’ll have to prepare 2X2 pictures, birth certificates and the rest of the other stuff – you will also have to register online and choose from any university in the country. Afterwards, get your appointment, submit all your requirements and just mention that you come from a “FOREIGN SCHOOL” (they have a special category for that in the examination).
  2. Get your permit and wait for the day of the exam! Remember, do not lose it…

What is my personal experience?

As a result of not knowing the latest procedures (if I had only known that it actually takes a lot of time for CHED to and that the procedures haven’t changed for the past few years, I would have accredited my documents as early as March), I would most probably be late when it comes to taking the LET.

The thing is that I would not be able to take the September 2018 edition…and that I need to wait until the start of the registration period for March 2019.

Oh well, one chance to get it right!

Anyways, good luck with your applications!

PS: I passed my LET EXAM!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.